What is BOTOX® ?
- A natural purified protein.
- It relaxes wrinkle‐causing muscles.
- It creates a smoothed, rejuvenated appearance.
When injected into a muscle:
- It temporarily blocks the chemical signals that make the muscle contract.
- Only minute quantities of BOTOX® are injected.
- Only the injected muscle will be affected.
Is BOTOX® Safe?
BOTOX® has an excellent safety profile.
BOTOX® is used in a variety of therapeutic areas. It is one of the few treatments that can be given to treat children over 2 years of age to treat Cerebral Palsy ‐ BOTOX® helps them to walk!
BOTOX® has been actively used for over 10 years in tens of thousands of patients worldwide.
BOTOX® has US FDA and European approval (including France and Switzerland).
BOTOX® has now been licensed in the UK for the treatment of Glabella lines. It is now called VISTABEL (EXACTLY THE SAME AS BOTOX® JUST A DIFFERENT NAME AND VIAL SIZE 50U)
How does BOTOX ® work?
- A tiny amount of BOTOX ® is injected into the hyperactive muscles.
- These repeated contractions cause the skin to fracture.
- Fine lines start to appear.
- BOTOX® blocks the nerve impulse from reaching these muscles.
- The muscle simply relaxes or ‘goes to sleep’
- This relaxation enables the skin to relax and heal and the lines smooth away
What happens during a BOTOX ® treatment?
It only takes ten minutes.
Your Doctor will ask you to frown or smile to assess your muscle movement.
Then determine the injection site to achieve the best results for you.
BOTOX ® is then administered by several tiny injections.
Feels like a pin prick. No anaesthetic is required.
You can return to work or day to day activities immediately.
Are there any side effects from a BOTOX ® treatment?
If they do occur, they are:
- Mild to moderate
- Slight bruising from the injection
When will BOTOX® start to work?
From Day 2 in some patients through to 14 days to see the full effect.
How long will my BOTOX® treatment last?
Results can last from 3 to 4 months following initial treatment
Subsequent BOTOX® treatments can last much longer.
Varies from person to person.
Will BOTOX® work for me?
The majority of patients treated by an experienced injector are satisfied with the result of their BOTOX® treatment
Will my lines look worse if I do not continue my treatment?
Should you discontinue treatment, your lines will gradually revert to their pre‐ treatment appearance.
Will BOTOX ® affect my whole face?
BOROX® only relaxes the muscle it is injected into.
It is used in miniscule quantities to treat facial lines.
Appropriate injections of BOTOX ® will ensure you still have natural facial expression
Who makes BOTOX ®?
Botox ® is the brand name for the most popular form of this treatment worldwide. It is manufactured by Allergan, a speciality pharmaceutical company.
A BOTOX® treatment:
- Is simple
- Is non‐surgical
- Smoothes out lines
- Takes approximately 10 minutes
- Involves a few tiny pin prick injections
- Relaxes the overactive muscle, reducing lines and wrinkles
- Results are visible within days
- Lasts 3 to 4 months or longer
If you have any further questions please ask Dr David Buckley or Nurse Mary Cullen-Sheehan - contact us.